August 2018 Board Minutes

SANDALL Board Meeting Agenda
Thursday August 16, 2018, 9:00am-10:00am

Meeting Facilitator: Marianne Sterna
Invitees: Lisa Foster, Chris Pickford, Christine Mathias, Sasha Orman. Unable to attend: Lisa Foster.
Call to order
President’s Report – Marianne Sterna
• Listserv alternatives. Christine has tested Gaggle as an option, and proposes looking at it again now that Chris has joined the team. Chris asks whether there is there a digest option, Christine confirms that it does. Also wanted: something that everyone with a membership can post to, not just board members, and with an easy process to assign an administrator.

• Committee heads. Marianne spoke with committee heads, everyone wants to stay on and continue with the work they’re doing. Marianne noted that, while most said they do not need extra help, archives may need some. She will send out information in case anyone has suggestions.
Vice President’s Report – Chris Pickford
• Programming options (law library-specific).
o David Stotland (attorney at San Diego County, and counsel for San Luis Obispo): legally blind, can talk about the kind of tools he uses to practice and keep up with the law. Considering this as a combination live presentation/webinar (via Facebook Live or other means) so that others can join.
o Librarians on Bikes: bike to different libraries.

• Programming options (not law library-specific).
o Zoo library: as we are a specialty library, seeing other specialty libraries could help open up ideas.
o Lance Prager, Infinity Wellness: did MCLE programs previously at SDLL, can tailor programs for what we want – mindfulness program, nutrition program, ergonomics.
o Zentangle: drawing structured patterns. (Janet Massey, Skyline Hills branch.)
o Myers-Brigg assessments.

• Winter institute and spring social. Will check with people who have opened their homes before for the spring social.

• Sponsorship for upcoming events. CEB Account Manager Suzanne Smith is changing positions within the company but will continue to handle requests until the end of 2018. Holiday party sponsorship requests are needed 90 days before the event. Now that we may be working with a different person, we need to be on top of that early. Who else do we look at for holiday party sponsorship? Usually CEB is enough to cover: the year before last went over on budget, but the last year was under budget. Holiday party and Institute usually biggest events, Institute largest money maker. Honorarian at institute? Possible venues for this year include: Mingei museum with hors d’oeurves, Tipsy Crow Law Library room. Last year’s event was at Fig Tree Café, Liberty Station (sit-down dinner, beer and wine).

• Bike the Bay. Has everyone signed up yet? New email may be needed as reminder. Received a suggestion for social media posts of Bike the Bay, which could be picked up by partners. Do we want to do a shout-out challenge?
Treasurer’s Report – Christine Mathias
• Financial report. We have total assets of $14,911.48 (with $9,478.65 in checking, $288.08 in Paypal, $5,144.75 in savings). We have already had one membership renewal. Only expenses so far are $180 for the AALL reception.
• Budget/Venue for holiday party. To help Chris get a better idea: last year’s budget was $1,500, charging about $30 per ticket including drink. $500 sponsorship, which needs to be applied for. The year before was $25 per ticket. Usually the holiday party is on a weekday. This year’s may be the first or second week of December?
Secretary’s Report – Sasha Orman
• Welcome.
• Processes. Send out the minutes to get them approved before the next meeting. Send minutes to Heather to post to SANDALL website.
Future agenda items & meetings
• Per bylaws, at least four board meetings per year plus annual meetings. Lisa held meetings every month to six weeks. Two more meetings before holiday party to check in on progress: next meeting in early October?
• Chris is out from Oct. 13-20, we will need to schedule around that.
• Local county library director: would line up a cataloguer for us if needed. Might come from a different perspective and training, could have good input.
Adjournment.

SANDALL Connect Meeting, Saturday Oct. 20, 2018

It’s time for the SANDALL Connect meeting Saturday, October 20, 2018 at 10:00 a.m.!

Come have brunch at the Studio Diner and meet other people interested in law librarianship. SANDALL Connect is an opportunity for library students, new librarians and experienced librarians to get together and talk about what is going on in the field of law librarianship.  It’s fun and you get  the inside view from those in the know. Please note that we do not host brunch – attendees individually order and pay for any food or beverages.

Saturday, October 20, 2018 at 10:00 a.m.

Where: Studio Diner, 4701 Ruffin Road, San Diego, CA 92123, (858) 715-6400

RSVP to Lisa Foster at lfoster@sdlawlibrary.org

June 2018 Board Minutes

SANDALL Board Meeting Minutes Annual Business Meeting

June 8, 2017 12-1:30 p.m.

Thomas Jefferson School of Law

SANDALL Annual Business Meeting Minutes

San Diego Law Library, 1105 Front Street, San Diego, CA 92101

Friday, June 8, 2018, Noon to 1:30 p.m.

 

 

Meeting Facilitator:         Lisa Foster

Board Members:              Lisa Foster, Marianne Sterna, Christine Mathias, Laurel Moran, Dr. Michele A. L. Villagran

 

Call to order by Lisa Foster

 

Introductory Remarks and Thanks to our Sponsor, CEB.

 

New Members who Joined SANDALL in 2017-2018 were acknowledged.

 

AALL and SLA Annual Conferences announcements were provided and information about Pacific Chapters reception was given to members attending. The information for this reception is:

For those of you attending the AALL Annual Meeting in Baltimore, you are invited to a reception for the five Pacific Chapters:  SANDALL, NOCALL, SCALL, LLOPS & WestPac.

LLOPS is the host chapter this year. Thomson Reuters Librarian Relations is graciously sponsoring this event.

Featuring:  Networking over hors d’oeuvres & an open bar for house wine, beer, tea, water & sodas.

Cost:  Free.

When:  Saturday, July 14th from 6-8 p.m.

Where:  Phillips Seafood, 601 E. Pratt Street.

Recognitions and Member News. Michele Villagran was recognized for her three years of service to SANDALL and the SANDALL board.  Laurel Moran was recognized for her two years of service. It was noted that Michele will remain a SANDALL member even now that she has joined the San Jose State library school faculty.  Congratulations Michele on your new job!

 

Newsletter Article of the Year Award was awarded to Ian Kipnes for his article “A Visit to the Union Tribune” in the November 17th newsletter.

 

Board Member Reports and Vote on Dues Increase

  • President’s Report –Lisa Foster
    • Dues Increase Proposal and Vote – Membership Vote Required and was held. A vote was held of the members present. Members voted to increase our dues by $5.00. Beginning with our membership cycle in the Fall of 2018, regular dues will be $25.00 per year and student dues will be $20.00. The vote was unanimous.
    • Future of SANDALL – Board Structure was a topic of discussion. Some members suggested we convene a task force to meet about the issues raised such as shortening board terms, hosting more virtual events. Anyone interested in this Task Force should email lfoster@sdlawlibrary.org. Only a few meetings of this Task Force should be required to come up with some recommendations for the Board to work on this Fall.
  • Vice President’s Report – Marianne Sterna provided a recap of events and noted the Joint Institute was quite successful with over $900 in revenue.
  • Past President’s Report – Michele Villagran gave information on how she will continue to be involved in SANDALL. During the past year she acted as an advisor and participated in board meetings and decisions. Michele introduced SANDALL to the AzALL board in order to facilitate a joint institute and worked with planning board to make the joint institute a reality. Michele also acted as a liaison between SANDALL Board and Government Relations and Social Responsibility Committees (note social responsibility committee dissolved in 2017). Michele worked with Christine Mathias and Erin Grimes on PR Committee to establish social medical policy for SANDALL and posting schedule. Michele will remain on this committee and continue to help with social media and communication efforts. Michele further worked on moving board and committee workspace to Google Drive.
  • Secretary’s Report- Laurel Moran
    • Approval of minutes for May 15, 2018 meeting
  • Treasurer’s Report- Christine Mathias provided information about the chapter year end financials. We ended the year in the black with good revenue from the Winter Institute, member dues, and the holiday party.

 

Committee Chair Appreciation and Reports were provided to the membership.

  • Archives
  • Connect
  • Employment
  • Government Relations
  • Grants
  • Membership
  • Newsletter
  • Nominations
  • Public Relations
  • Webmaster

 

Service Recognition

  • Laurel Moran – Outgoing Secretary
  • Michele Villagran – Outgoing Past President

 

New Officer Installation and Oath. Chris Pickford was sworn in and installed as SANDALL Vice President.  Sasha Orman was sworn in and installed as SANDALL secretary.

 

Prize Drawing

 

Adjournment

 

 

 

 

May 2018 Board Minutes

SANDALL Committee Chairs Meeting and Board Meeting Minutes

San Diego Law Library, 1105 Front Street, San Diego

Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Committee Chairs Meeting: Noon to 1:00 p.m.

Board Meeting: 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.

Meeting Facilitator: Lisa Foster

Attendees:: Dr. Michele A. L. Villagran (phone), Christine Mathias, Laurel Moran (arrived at 1:20 p.m.), Marianne Sterna, Allan Harjala, Melissa Abernathy, Suzanne Smith.

 

Call to order

 

Committee Chair Reports:

  • Archives – Izabela Aleksieva was unable to attend.
  • Connect – Lisa Foster gave the report regarding outreach to library schools in Fall 2017. Connect meetings were held in September, October, November, January, March, and April. Attendance has been low and when the program resumes in the Fall of 2018 we will try to have a discussion theme for each meeting to create more interest.
  • Employment – Allan Harjala reported. This year Allan, Melissa Abernathy, Rachel Green and Sean Saxon comprised the committee. They researched and compiled legal and non-legal library and information science opportunities that might be of interest to SANDALL members and provided that information in a weekly listing. The weekly lists included 1,034 advertised positions from July 2017 to April 2018.
  • Government Relations – Rachel Green was unable to attend. Her report was submitted in written form. She reported that 2018 was busy, supporting legislative efforts at both the federal and state levels. This included support of H.R. 5305, the FDLP Modernization Act of 2018, and advocating for permanent funding for California County law libraries. The committee worked on this advocacy in collaboration with CCCLL, NOCALL, and SCALL. The committee also promoted AALL’s Online Advocacy Training and Virtual Lobby Day, and sent out four Washington ebulletins.
  • Grants – Marie Templo-Capule was unable to attend. The Grants committee received only one application for a grant during this year. This application will be discussed at the board meeting immediately following the committee chair reports.
  • Membership – Lisa Foster reported that SANDALL currently has 73 dues paying members and 4 emeritus/lifetime members, for a total of 77 members. This is a reduction of about 10 members from the same time last year. Outreach efforts were made by Lisa Foster and Treasurer Christine Mathias following the Fall 2017 membership drive to former members who did not renew, resulting in some additional renewals. Welcome emails were sent by Lisa Foster to new members, including information about upcoming events and how to join the listserv.
  • Newsletter – Melissa Abernathy reported regarding the newsletter, which is being published using the Mail Chimp marketing service. The newsletter had a 31.78% open rate this year for the five issues published in May 2017, September 2017, November 2017, January 2018, and March 2018. The most popular issue was January 2018 highlighting the “History of SANDALL” event. The mailing list for the newsletter has 159 members. Thanks were given to Lisa Foster, Marianne Sterna, Anna Russell, Emily Ngo, Ian Kipnes, Michele Villagran, Laurel Moran, Christine Mathias, Kelly Keach, Michele Knapp, Rachel Green, Izabela Aleksievea and Dan Kimmons for their photos and written submissions this year.
  • Nominations – Suzanne Smith reported for the Nominations Committee, and shared that she and fellow committee member Leigh Inman have made extensive efforts, but still have not identified any candidates for the open Vice President and Secretary positions. Possible solutions for this situation were discussed, including the posting of a candid message to the membership on the listserv about the situation.
  • Public Relations – Christine Mathias took over as Chair of this committee last year. She reported that she and Erin Grimes have been working on a social media plan based on SDLL’s plan, which is comprehensive. She thanks Michele Villagran and Erin Grimes for their contributions to the creation of this plan. Christine encouraged everyone involved in event planning to forward information to her about events for posting on SANDALL’s social media platforms.
  • Webmaster – Heather Parker was unable to attend the meeting.

 

Lisa Foster closed out the Committee meeting by noting that there are updates that need to be made the Committee Information section on the SANDALL website. Those updates will be made with the assistance of Webmaster Heather Parker after Marianne Sterna (as the President Elect for the coming year) checks in with all of the Committee Chairs in June to determine if they intend to continue serving on their committees next year.

 

Board Meeting commenced at approximately 1:00 p.m.

 

President’s Report – Lisa Foster

  • Listserv hosting issue. AALL has been notified of SANDALL’s intention to leave the AALL hosted L-Soft listserv platform later this year. The Board discussed the recent two week free trial of Gaggle, a group email service that would be significantly less expensive than staying with the AALL-hosted platform. The Board agrees that Gaggle was user friendly and appears to meet SANDALL’s listserv needs, and would be a viable alternative to the AALL hosted listserv. Because the SANDLL listserv will remain with AALL until the fall, there is still time to test other possible group email services that we could use, if any are identified.
  • Grant Recommendation for Michele Villagran (Michele Villgran recused herself) for this portion. The Grant committee recommended an award of a $1,000 grant to Michele Villagran for expenses associated with her attendance at the SLA Annual Meeting in Baltimore. Michele will be speaking at the conference, and has contributed much time and effort to SANDALL during her three years on the Board. The board members present voted to award the grant to Michele.
  • Feedback from dues increase proposal. Lisa Foster reported that two emails were received from SANDALL members in response to the message posted on the listserv regarding the proposed dues increase of five dollars for regular and student members. Both emails were in favor of the increase. One of the emails suggested the Board explore creation of an institutional member category. The Board will look into this matter next year, which require compliance with the same process that was used for the dues increase proposal.
  • Board recruitment (VP and Secretary). The Board discussed the lack of candidates for the open Board positions, and the consequences of not having a fully staffed Board next year. Failure to fill the Vice President position will require that the Board scale back event planning for the coming year. Feedback is needed from the membership about the reasons why members are not willing to run for the Board, and whether changes to the current structure might encourage more participation. Laurel Moran mentioned that at the SDLL, the director requires employees to be actively involved in SANDALL as a requirement of paying the employee’s dues. Outreach to other library directors about ways to encourage SANDALL participation was discussed. A listserv message will be drafted by Lisa Foster for review by the rest of the Board regarding the situation, and seeking feedback from the membership.
  • June 4 Annual Business meeting. The business meeting date was changed to June 8th due to a conflict with schedules. Laurel Moran will form a committee for article of the year—to be awarded at the Business Meeting. Lisa Foster will do a PowerPoint and prepare certificates. Food will be from Corner Bakery.
  • 2018 AALL and SLA conferences – SANDALL members attending/presenting; Joint Reception for Western Pacific Chapters. Michele Villagran will be presenting at AALL and SLA. Our chapter will only have three or four attending AALL (as of those who responded to Lisa Foster to date). The Joint Reception of the Western Pacific Chapters will be July 14th from 6 to 8 p.m.

 

Vice President’s Report – Marianne Sterna

  • Programming
    • Spring Social will be canceled and the raffle held as part of the business meeting on June 8th. Only 2 persons had signed up. Connect will not be held on 5/19 and will resume in the Fall.

 

Past President’s Report – Dr. Michele A. L. Villagran reported that she will have a busy summer before starting on San Jose State’s faculty. She will remain a member of SANDALL.  SJSU offers minimal support for committee and other work but she will continue to assist on PR and social media and remain active in the association.

 

Secretary’s Report – Laurel Moran

  • March 21, 2018 meeting minutes – previously approved and posted.

 

Treasurer’s Report – Christine Mathias

  • Financial report. Total assets $15,045.27 and no liabilities. The Joint Institute brought in $908.89 and there were additional payments for the Holiday Party that boosted us to having revenue on that event as well.

 

Future Agenda Items & Meetings: June 8th Business Meeting at San Diego Law Library 12:00 p.m.

March 2018 Board Minutes

SANDALL Board Meeting Minutes  

Meeting held via

GoToMeeting: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/678959813 

Wednesday March 21, 2018, 11:00 a.m.

 

Meeting Facilitator: Lisa Foster

Participants: Christine Mathias, Laurel Moran, Marianne Sterna, and Laurel Moran. Absent due to illness: Michele Villagran

 

Call to order

 

President’s Report – Lisa Foster

  • Listserv hosting issue. We will be charged $250.00 annually for Listserv hosting by AALL. Lisa has been communicating with other chapters. Most are going to pay first time and explore other options going forward. Potential for open source listserv if we can find a member to host.  Laurel will take a look at listserv options. Lisa will provide our timeline in acting on this.
  • Grants Committee vacancy. Robert O’Leary has resigned as a committee member. Jan Hedlun is still serving on this committee. We need someone to round out the committee and there have been no responses on listserv. Grants committee recommends grants to the board and we make final decision on allocation and amount. Right now they have $1,000 to work with but we can look at what we have available depending upon what comes in with applications this Spring.
  • Proposal to raise dues in 2018. We need to have 2 board meetings. This board meeting will be the first board meeting. We need to propose and put out proposed increase for 2 weeks. Then second meeting to consider feedback we receive from members. Third step will be to request ratification by simple majority at Annual Meeting. Will attach as addendum to minutes the AALL Chapter Membership Dues informative piece prepared by Lisa Foster.

 

Proposed New Chapter Policy: Revise existing current policy which reads” Due are $20 per year. Student Dues are $15 per year” TO:

 

“Dues are $25 per year. Student Dues are $20 per year.”

 

  • Board recruitment (VP and Secretary). No one has expressed interest. Board needs to put out feelers for any interest; possibly newer members or those who have expressed interest should be sought out.

 

Vice President’s Report – Marianne Sterna

  • Programming
    • March webinar has been set and topic is the AzALL Institute wrap up.
    • April event will a webinar on serving people with disabilities.
    • Spring Social; no venue yet. Forward any ideas to Marianne. Possibly a park will be utilized.
    • June Business Meeting . Suzanne offered to bring food. It will not be at TJSL; it may be held at county administration building.
    • AzALL institute finances will be wrapped up after AALL reimbursement.

 

Past President’s Report – Dr. Michele A. L. Villagran

  • No report.

 

Secretary’s Report – Laurel Moran

  • Approval of February meeting minutes. Everyone has approved the February minutes and they may be submitted to the Newsletter and website.

 

Treasurer’s Report – Christine Mathias

  • Financial report. We have total assets of 15,766.12 and no liabilities as of March 2018.

 

Future Agenda Items & Meetings: Our dues increase will be put on next meeting agenda.

 

Adjournment

Feb 2018 Board Minutes

SANDALL Board Meeting Minutes

GoToMeeting: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/678959813 

Monday February 5, 2018, 10:00 a.m.

 

Meeting Facilitator: Lisa Foster

Invitees: Dr. Michele A. L. Villagran, Christine Mathias, Laurel Moran, Marianne Sterna

 

Call to order at 10:06 a.m.

 

President’s Report – Lisa Foster

  • Grants Committee vacancy exists. Lisa Foster will put a notice out on Listserv to fill vacancy. This is not a very labor intensive position.
  • Membership bcc list. Lisa Foster created a list. She wants to be able to take member list and compare with bcc list. Christine will look at updating the list to assist Lisa with creating a good bcc list.
  • Third Saturday Connect will conflict with institute and will be canceled.

 

Vice President’s Report – Marianne Sterna

  • Programming
    • Joint Institute update. Marianne is working hard on the Institute. Overall we most likely will have 30 people. We have not created an Institute webpage as we have done in the past. AZall may be creating a page and we can link to their site.
    • Other upcoming programming will involve an April webinar with David Stockland on working with people with disabilities.
    • Spring social we will work on finding a location. Carla Castetter has offered a space in her Soledad Mountain community as an event location; we may consider that for the Spring Social.
    • March meeting could possibly be recap of the Institute for those who could not attend.

 

Past President’s Report – Dr. Michele A. L. Villagran

  • Social Media policy—progress report. Michele, Christine, and Erin Grimes have worked on editing the policy that SDLL shared. Consistent posting is really an important practice so that you engage your members.
  • Michele is secretary on SLA-San Diego board. She just got back from a leadership symposium and she will share the information she garnered there. If there are any items the SANDALL board would like to share with SLA-San Diego—let Michele know.

 

Secretary’s Report – Laurel Moran

  • Approval of December meeting minutes

 

Treasurer’s Report – Christine Mathias

  • Financial report
  • Checking account $10,918.97. Paypal balance is $202.86. $5,144.03 in savings. Total in assets $16,265.86. No liabilities.
  • On Holiday Party we just about broke even. We probably will come out ahead on the Institute.

 

Future Agenda Items & Meetings

 

Dues increase for business meeting. Lisa Foster will look into what needs to be done to bring that to the business meeting.

 

Adjournment at 10:41 a.m.

 

Dec 2017 Board Minutes

SANDALL Board Meeting Minutes

GoToMeeting: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/678959813 

Wednesday, December 11, 2017, 9:30 a.m.

 

Meeting Facilitator: Lisa Foster

Invitees: Dr. Michele A. L. Villagran, Christine Mathias, Laurel Moran, Marianne Sterna

 

Call to order at 9:35a.m. by Lisa Foster

 

President’s Report – Lisa Foster

  • GRC Chair vacancy. Lisa got a contact from a member, Rachel Green [at UCLA but still SANDALL member], volunteering to do this if it can be done virtually. Lisa will put her in touch with Anna Russell and/or David McFadden either of which can acquaint her with those duties/responsibilities.
  • Financial information – past meeting minutes. Lisa did not hear back from Heather. We will go forward and ensure this information is not left off of online minutes.
  • Responding to “Contact Us” emails. There is a lot of emailing back and forth so perhaps we should have protocol for who responds so there is no duplication of effort. The Board determined Lisa Foster will be the initial point of contact for responding to these emails.
  • Best practices for promoting events. Poor response rate on the events that SANDALL has planned. We have had one registration for USD and Cal Western registering multiple people at once and should check as holiday party registration should be higher than first noted. We need better communication on the LISTERV and to independent emails as well (bcc list).
  • Saturday the December 16th CONNECT will be canceled.

 

Vice President’s Report – Marianne Sterna

  • Programming
    • Holiday party (discussed above)
    • Joint Institute update. The vendor packet is being readied. We are confirming with speakers. We have Greg Lambert coming and his travel is covered. We are working on creating space for a third speaker. Things are moving along on the AZALL/SANDALL institute. Thomson Reuters pledged $1,000 sponsorship already. Lisa is working on getting AALL membership/conference registrations as give aways for Conference.
    • Other upcoming programming. Competitive intelligence (Betsy Chessler). Wednesday-January 24th (lunchtime event). Marianne will ready announcement and registration for that event.

 

Past President’s Report – Dr. Michele A. L. Villagran

  • Wiki; there is no update on the Wiki. Google Drive log ins have been problematic. It may make sense to create a new email so we can move forward.
  • Michele will provide edits to Social Media policy before the end of the year.

 

Secretary’s Report – Laurel Moran

  • Approval of November meeting minutes
  • Approved and will be submitted to Heather.

 

Treasurer’s Report – Christine Mathias

  • Membership renewal status report. We have had new memberships trickle in. Membership is at 77.
  • Total in checking $8,907.73. Paypal $1,142.92. Savings account $5,143.91. Total for Banking is $15,194.56. No liabilities. Income is coming in from renewals and for Holiday Party. After the Holiday party the Paypal funds will be moved to the checking account. Will leave approx. 200.00 in Paypal in case refunds there are required.
  • Institute monies will be handled at AZALL end and then accounted for later.

 

Future Agenda Items & Meetings

 

In person January meeting is going to be planned.

 

Adjournment at 10:15 a.m.

 

Competitive Intelligence 2.0

Competitive Intelligence 2.0

Many librarians now have a “CI” component to their work.  We are ideally suited to business and market intelligence, but we need to understand the framework of CI to really provide the most value.  It’s not just find it out, but figure it out.  Join SANDALL member Betsy Chessler, Competitive Intelligence Manager for Morrison & Foerster, LLP,  as she shares what she learned at the Strategic & Competitive Professional’s (SCIP) four day CI boot camp in December.

Location:  12531 High Bluff Drive | San Diego, CA 92130-2040

Date & Time:  Wednesday.  January 17, 2018.  Noon to 1:00pm

 

Oct 2017 Board Minutes

SANDALL Board Meeting Minutes

GoToMeeting: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/678959813 

Wednesday, November 22, 2017, 9:30 a.m.

Meeting Facilitator: Lisa Foster

Invitees: Dr. Michele A. L. Villagran (absent), Christine Mathias (absent), Laurel Moran, Marianne Sterna

 

Call to order at 9:37 a.m.

 

President’s Report – Lisa Foster

  • GRC Chair vacancy due to Vance Sharp moving to a new library position out of town. Description of duty is needed. We need to get back to David McFadden and fill the position.
  • Financial information – past meeting minutes. Lisa will inquire about this practice.
  • Update on Listserv and Listserv Archive

We are on a new platform now and it is working much better. The first URL is the posting URL. The second one is where the archived messages are located. We have been assured that this information will be preserved on the archive of old messages. If they (AALL) changes this at any time they will notify. We may want to link the URL in our archive in the Wiki so old messages are preserved.

  • New Lexis Library Relations Consultant. There is a new consultant that has taken over for Michael St. Onge. Loyd Auerbach is the person who has taken over. We should invite him to one of our events.

 

Vice President’s Report – Marianne Sterna

  • Programming
    • Holiday party
    • Joint Institute update
    • Other upcoming programming

Good response on November event. We were not able to record it.  Perhaps we could have emeritus members in the future to keep these individuals in the fold. Or make some of these individuals special guests at future SANDALL events.

 

Holiday party on December 12th. Fig Tree Café. Not many responses as of yet.

 

There was a Joint Institute meeting. Another planned for mid December.  AZALL is working on speakers—perhaps a panel on cyber attacks. We got a partial amount of grant requested and will use that to pay for speakers, signage, etc. AALL will OK an MP3 recording so we can put more towards speakers. Lisa and Marianne working on vendor list.

 

No other upcoming programming.  For January will most likely do Happy Hour. Focus will remain on Joint Institute. Marianne has ideas on speakers for Spring.

 

Past President’s Report – Dr. Michele A. L. Villagran (absent)

  • Wiki work ongoing.

 

Secretary’s Report – Laurel Moran

  • Approval of October meeting minutes

 

Treasurer’s Report – Christine Mathias (information sent via email) (absent)

  • Membership renewal for 2017/2018 –status report. Lisa will touch base with her on renewals and whether follow up is needed.
  • We need to submit the budget. Christine has prepared but we need to provide it to AALL.
  • As of 11/21/2017 checking account balance is $8,711.73. Paypal balance of $752.64. Savings account balance of $5,143.78. Total Assets $14,608.15. No Liabilities as of this date.

 

 

Future Agenda Items & Meetings

 

We will inquire of members on availability in December.  Week of 18th is the best.

 

Adjournment at 10:06 a.m.

 

SANDALL Connect Meeting

It’s time for the SANDALL Connect meeting Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 10:00 a.m.! This will be our first meeting of 2018.

Come have brunch at the Studio Diner and meet other people interested in law librarianship. SANDALL Connect is an opportunity for library students, new librarians and experienced librarians to get together and talk about what is going on in the field of law librarianship.  It’s fun and you get  the inside view from those in the know. Please note that we do not host brunch – attendees individually order and pay for any food or beverages.

 

When: Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 10:00 a.m.

Where: Studio Diner, 4701 Ruffin Road, San Diego, CA 92123, (858) 715-6400

RSVP to Lisa Foster at lfoster@tjsl.edu