SANDALL Board Meeting Minutes Annual Business Meeting
June 8, 2017 12-1:30 p.m.
Thomas Jefferson School of Law
SANDALL Annual Business Meeting Minutes
San Diego Law Library, 1105 Front Street, San Diego, CA 92101
Friday, June 8, 2018, Noon to 1:30 p.m.
Meeting Facilitator: Lisa Foster
Board Members: Lisa Foster, Marianne Sterna, Christine Mathias, Laurel Moran, Dr. Michele A. L. Villagran
Call to order by Lisa Foster
Introductory Remarks and Thanks to our Sponsor, CEB.
New Members who Joined SANDALL in 2017-2018 were acknowledged.
AALL and SLA Annual Conferences announcements were provided and information about Pacific Chapters reception was given to members attending. The information for this reception is:
For those of you attending the AALL Annual Meeting in Baltimore, you are invited to a reception for the five Pacific Chapters: SANDALL, NOCALL, SCALL, LLOPS & WestPac.
LLOPS is the host chapter this year. Thomson Reuters Librarian Relations is graciously sponsoring this event.
Featuring: Networking over hors d’oeuvres & an open bar for house wine, beer, tea, water & sodas.
When: Saturday, July 14th from 6-8 p.m.
Where: Phillips Seafood, 601 E. Pratt Street.
Recognitions and Member News. Michele Villagran was recognized for her three years of service to SANDALL and the SANDALL board. Laurel Moran was recognized for her two years of service. It was noted that Michele will remain a SANDALL member even now that she has joined the San Jose State library school faculty. Congratulations Michele on your new job!
Newsletter Article of the Year Award was awarded to Ian Kipnes for his article “A Visit to the Union Tribune” in the November 17th newsletter.
Board Member Reports and Vote on Dues Increase
- President’s Report –Lisa Foster
- Dues Increase Proposal and Vote – Membership Vote Required and was held. A vote was held of the members present. Members voted to increase our dues by $5.00. Beginning with our membership cycle in the Fall of 2018, regular dues will be $25.00 per year and student dues will be $20.00. The vote was unanimous.
- Future of SANDALL – Board Structure was a topic of discussion. Some members suggested we convene a task force to meet about the issues raised such as shortening board terms, hosting more virtual events. Anyone interested in this Task Force should email email@example.com. Only a few meetings of this Task Force should be required to come up with some recommendations for the Board to work on this Fall.
- Vice President’s Report – Marianne Sterna provided a recap of events and noted the Joint Institute was quite successful with over $900 in revenue.
- Past President’s Report – Michele Villagran gave information on how she will continue to be involved in SANDALL. During the past year she acted as an advisor and participated in board meetings and decisions. Michele introduced SANDALL to the AzALL board in order to facilitate a joint institute and worked with planning board to make the joint institute a reality. Michele also acted as a liaison between SANDALL Board and Government Relations and Social Responsibility Committees (note social responsibility committee dissolved in 2017). Michele worked with Christine Mathias and Erin Grimes on PR Committee to establish social medical policy for SANDALL and posting schedule. Michele will remain on this committee and continue to help with social media and communication efforts. Michele further worked on moving board and committee workspace to Google Drive.
- Secretary’s Report- Laurel Moran
- Approval of minutes for May 15, 2018 meeting
- Treasurer’s Report- Christine Mathias provided information about the chapter year end financials. We ended the year in the black with good revenue from the Winter Institute, member dues, and the holiday party.
Committee Chair Appreciation and Reports were provided to the membership.
- Government Relations
- Public Relations
- Laurel Moran – Outgoing Secretary
- Michele Villagran – Outgoing Past President
New Officer Installation and Oath. Chris Pickford was sworn in and installed as SANDALL Vice President. Sasha Orman was sworn in and installed as SANDALL secretary.