November 2016 Board Minutes

SANDALL Executive Board Meeting Minutes

Held Virtually via GoToMeeting

Monday, November 14, 2016

 

In Attendance via computer and/or telephonically:

Michele Lucero Villagran, President

Michele Knapp, Past President

Lisa Foster, Vice President

Derek Antler, Treasurer

Laurel Moran, Secretary

 

Call to Order by President Michele Villagran at 9:30 a.m.

Meeting Minutes:

The board approved the October minutes with two minor modifications.  Change Eventbrite to EventBee and modify section relating to AALL annual meeting.

President’s Report-Michele Villagran:

The AALL chapter visit form has been submitted. As soon as the Vice President confirms a few details regarding the Institute (venue, times, when the AALL representative will speak) we will know more.

The Newsletter deadline is Nov. 15. Content is a bit light so the board is encouraged to submit information and encourage others to do so. The President will submit an article on her attendance at CLA. We could use a write up on the SLA Fall conference as well. Please include the holiday party announcement in the newsletter.  Lisa Foster is to submit that link to the newsletter and also provide an announcement about the SANDALL Connect event that is coming up on November 19th. Derek Antler will provide photos of the Central Library tour for the newsletter.

Michele Villagran will provide more information about the AALL branding initiative when it is available from AALL.

The President is collecting information on how information sharing is carried out by other chapters.

There is an update from AALL’s executive board.  They have approved two new caucuses; ENCORE for post employment or retired members; and Teaching Legal Technology for those interested in that area of the profession. The Diversity Committee has now been renamed to Diversity and Inclusion. The AALL Board also approved the Strategic Connections Plan.

Vice President’s Report-Lisa Foster:

The Vice President reported that registrations for the Natural History museum tour on Nov. 18th are good with about a dozen members planning to attend.

Holiday Party registrations continue to come in with an overall good response rate. There was discussion on vendor table set up; raffle, etc.

California Western is helping with Institute ideas and outreach.  The event will be held February 10th.  The venue is the multipurpose room of Morrison & Foerster. This room can hold 100 people and the firm will provide beverages throughout the day. There will be one speaker from the SDPD and Julie Page will also speak on disaster preparedness.  Lisa is working on getting another speaker; hopefully with real library experience involving a library disaster and/or security issue. Speakers on cybersecurity have not panned out but Lisa has other possibilities for the third speaker. Lisa will provide a save the date announcement for the newsletter—letting members know the date of the Institute. Michele Villagran offered to help with vendor outreach for the Institute.

The next SANDALL Connect is November 19th, 2016. There are two aspiring librarians who will attend and one is planning to join SANDALL.

Past President’s Report-Michele Knapp:

Michele Knapp has been viewing the wiki and has decided the wiki is outdated in both form and format. She is creating a Google Drive to share with the board. She is awaiting Anna Russell’s return from vacation in order to get administrative access to the wiki.

Secretary’s Report-Laurel Moran:

No information to report other than the approval of the minutes.

Treasurer’s Report-Derek Antler:

SANDALL tax forms have been filed and the accountant paid.

Membership renewals are ongoing.  We have 70 regular members and 4 lifetime members.  No student members as of this date. Regular member renewals total $xxxx and there was one donation of $xx from a lifetime member who wished to donate dues to SANDALL.

The budget was reviewed. The treasurer is using Google Apps and Google Sheets for budgets so the document may be secure and shared. Board members may add to commented cells in the Google Sheet budget to provide sponsorship/vendor projections.

There are 12 registrations to date for the holiday party. Registrations total $xxx less the Paypal and Eventbee charges of $xx.

Membership forms are still being blocked by USD email; however, the help desk is working on whitelisting them.  In the meantime they are being received by Heather Parker via her yahoo email address.

Account balances:

As of Nov. 14, 2016 the balances are:

  • Checking: $xxxx
  • Savings: $xxxx
  • PayPal: $xx

Future Agenda Items & Meetings:

Executive Board Meeting will be virtual next month. December date to be determined; most likely December 12 or 13th.

Adjournment:

Meeting adjourned by President Michele Villagran.