SANDALL Board Meeting Agenda
Café Guadalajara, Old Town
Friday, September 18, 2015, 3:00-4:30pm
Michele Knapp, President
Michele Lucero Villagran, Vice President
Anna Russell Barbara Glennan, Past President
Derek Antler, Treasurer
Ian Kipnes, Secretary
Call to Order by President at 3:10 pm
June & August 2015 Meeting Minutes approved
President’s Report – Michele Knapp
- New committee chairs & members
A discussion was held by the Board as to all SANDALL committees and their current chairs/members. Spreadsheet was handed out by President illustrating each committee, their Chair, the members of the committee and whether any specific action was necessary as to changes/replacements/help required from membership.
- Board member liaisons for committees
Referring once again to the spreadsheet that was handed out by President for ease of reference to committees, the Board assigned a specific liaison to each committee for full coverage of all. Assignments are as follows and are meant to follow the office assigned for the foreseeable future but may be changed/reassigned by the Board at any time as necessary:
|Committee||Assigned Board Member Liaison|
|Public Relations||Vice- President|
|Social Responsibility||Vice- President|
- SANDALL wiki
- Derek, Michele V. & Ian invited to join and they will report back on any issues to President
- Professional development opportunities
Announcements to be sent out soon regarding (but not necessarily limited to) the following items:
- AALL Business Skills Clinic, Chicago, IL, 10/16-10/17
Jane Larrington attending
- Internet Librarian, Monterey, CA, 10/26-10/28 – SANDALL discount available, early bird deadline Friday, September 25
SANDALL Vice-President will be attending
- SLA-SD Fall Seminar, San Diego, CA, 10/30 – Forging Forward: Techniques & Technologies for Gauging Success
To be held in Marina Village, Mission Bay. All SANDALL members will be encouraged to attend
- California Library Association, Pasadena, CA, 11/5-11/8 – Reimagine Reinvent, advance registration deadline Friday, October 9
SANDALL Vice-President will be attending/speaking (presenting 2 programs)
Vice President’s Report – Michele Villagran
September 18, 2015 marks the kickoff of this year’s programming events with a joint Happy Hour held with SLA San Diego and we can expect at least one or two more such joint events with them over the coming year.
October 20, 2015 will be an educational event. “Cultural Intelligence in Law Firm Libraries” will be held downtown
For November 2015 the Vice-President is looking at potential museum tours including the Museum of Man (where a fee would be required), the Braille Institute Library as well as the Athenaeum Music & Arts Library in La Jolla
December 2015 will see our annual Holiday Party and the Vice-President is looking at a potential venue
January/February 2016 may involve an Institute although we must try hard not to conflict for attendees with the SCALL/NOCALL joint event to be held in March 2016. A potential idea floated for such a SANDALL Institute was focusing on digital archives/archiving. In addition, the SANDALL President suggested that SANDALL might start thinking of producing a joint institute with the AALL Phoenix Chapter in 2017 as they’ll have a brand new library building in Phoenix in 2016.
- Member Survey
Vice-President thanked Board members for their feedback on survey and statted that all possible corrections would be completed and the survey will be emailed to membership on or about September 21, 2015 with reminders following on September 28, 2015 and then on October 2, 2015 with the survey finally closing on October 5, 2015.
Past-President’s Report – Anna Russell
- Digital archives & preservation – ArchiveIt update
- Isabella Aleksieva is exited about joining forces with Robert O’Leary to inventory the print SANDALL archived materials. These two members will then produce a spreadsheet and talk to the Board about prioritization of digitization projects.
- As to SANDALL’s “born digital” content, the Past-President has a meeting in the first week of November 2015 with reps from ArchiveIt. They will do a webinar with some of the I.T. people, NOCALL, SCALL and SANDALL Boards to demo their product for us all. Then Board can determine if it looks useful and the the costs involved.
- Past-President wants to create an overarching digitization/archiving policy for SANDALL going forward
Secretary’s Report – Ian Kipnes
- Bylaws change
Board members to look at the SANDALL Bylaws and (following them) to set schedule/timeframe for the changes Board would like to make during their term
- Election of SANDALL officers
Board members to look at the SANDALL Bylaws and (following them) to set schedule/timeframe for a change to future elections voting dates. Past-President will send out last year’s schedule for the Board’s review in their decision making process as to this item
- Possible dues increase
Any such attempt to increase dues will be based upon survey responses once they are received/collected/reviewed. If the membership indicates a favorable response to increase then dues increase will be effective starting with the 2016-2017 membership dues period.
Treasurer’s Report – Derek Antler
Treasurer will be sending all membership the annual dues renewal announcements beginning on September 23, 2015
- Chase bank update
Funds are stable though SANDALL does have a small PayPay credit balance that needs to be transferred to checking account
- PayPal account status
It was agreed that Treasurer will use last year’s dues form as template for the ones to be used this year.
- Membership update
Dues are to be paid by members by October 19, 2015
We added 4 new members since July 2015
Treasurer stated that last year we had 96 paid members per his records (a difference from the number promulgated by past Treasurer)
Board agreed that there would be NO proration of dues for late joining members HOWEVER it was agreed to by all Board members that in the future, any members joining and paying dues after any year’s June Business Meeting would have their dues payment applied through the next SANDALL fiscal year cycle (ex. business meeting held June 16, 2016 member joins/pays June 20, 2016 then membership is to be considered paid through the 2016-2017 membership period).
Wrap up & Future Agenda Items
Short discussion by Treasurer regarding storage of SANDALL financial documents. Currently done on flash drive with backups to other flash drives. Treasurer suggested use of a Drop Box type account (secured online file storage). Treasurer currently investigating Box.com or other storage possibilities. Treasurer to update Board at a later date.
- Next meeting October 20, 2015 at 9:30am at Specialty’s Café, 101 W. Broadway, San Diego 92101. SANDALL brownbag to follow at a law firm at noon downtown.
Adjournment at 5:05pm