SANDALL Annual Business Meeting
Thursday, June 12, 2014
The Annual Business meeting of SANDALL was held on Thursday, June 12, 2014
at Thomas Jefferson School of Law in San Diego. President Barbara Glennan called the meeting to order at 12:00pm.
a. New members
• Ruth Gervais, Law Librarian, California Court of Appeal
• Kitty Brlej, Library Technician, Thomas Jefferson School of Law
• Margaret Drehobl, Public Services Librarian, Thomas Jefferson School of Law
b. Members presenting at AALL
• Jane Larrington – panel of San Antonio City Council members and others on the anti-discrimination clause changed last year in San Antonio; coffee talk on Tuesday morning on how academics can be more involved in clinics; discussion on how librarians can get more involved in presenting and hosting CLES & writing for practitioner publications; and a panel on Monday afternoon linking academics and law firm librarians
• Ian Kipnes – program on acquisitions tips
c. Chapter table at AALL
• Info to be sent out on listserv. Please sign up to sit at the table for an hour or two if you will be attending.
d. Pacific Chapters Reception at AALL
• Free to members
• Saturday, July 12, 7-9 p.m. the Briar’s Suite at Pat O’Brien’s, located in the Grand Promenade in the historic Alamo Quarters building
• Hosted by Anna Russell & Michele Knapp, organized by Brent Bernau
e. SANDALL’s 16th birthday this July
f. Betsy Chessler printed member directory and passed out to members
g. Thank you
• to Leigh Inman for photos and slideshow
• to Thomas Jefferson School of Law for facilities and hosting meeting
• to Suzanne Smith and CEB for providing lunch
II. Vice President’s Report
• Vice President Anna Russell reported that SANDALL had a good season of programming during 2013-2014, including happy hours; educational brown bags; a fall workshop on using technology for disintermediated learning; program with the San Diego County Bar Association, hosting Carole Levitt on the cyber sleuth’s guide to the internet w/ SDCBA; courthouse and library tours; and the spring social at Brent Bernau’s home.
• Potential designs for a new SANDALL logo were shown. Betsy Chessler and Carol Hyne came up with the idea to refresh the logo. There will be a few choices to vote on. Info to be sent out on listserv.
III. Secretary’s Report
• Secretary Michele Knapp had no report for 2013-2014.
• As incoming Vice President and Chair of Programs Committee, Michele is coordinating the 2015 SANDALL Winter Institute with Anna Russell, Melissa Fung, and Lisa Foster. The Institute will focus on the Uniform Electronic Legal Material Act (UELMA) and digital authentication. It will be held at the University of San Diego on Friday, January 9, 2015.
IV. Treasurer’s report
a. Report attached
b. Treasurer Robert Wickman reported that SANDALL has 102 members, with 4 new members. SANDALL is averaging 100-110 members per year.
c. Membership committee is seeking help. Please contact Robert if interested.
V. Committee Reports
a. Archives – Loren Stamper
• Need to address preservation for materials such as VHS tapes
• Plans to catalog archives
• Do not throw away SANDALL documents or material. Please send to Loren.
b. Employment – Izabela Aleksieva for Jason Curtis
• Provides employment info to members
• Committee went from 3 to 5 members this year
• Report attached
c. Government Relations – Michele Jones
• Report attached
d. Grants – Jan Hedlun for Brent Naritomi
• Awards to members 2013-2014
• New criteria
• Open process for grant
• Seeking new committee members
• Report attached
e. Newsletter – Amy Moberly
• 5 issues were produced during the year
• Amy is retiring as Chair of Newsletter. Melissa Fung to take over and change to e-newsletter format.
f. Historian – Leigh Inman
• Leigh has created slide shows and taken photos at events.
• Leigh is retiring as Historian. SANDALL is seeking a new Historian.
• Leigh suggests reaching out to retired members and others to gather more historical information.
g. Nominations – Rachel Green
• Electronic voting used for election this year. It was easy and streamlined.
h. Public Relations – Betsy Chessler
Would welcome new members
SANDALL Buddies – Betsy Chessler
Handing over to Rachel Green & Lisa Foster
Bkfst 3rd Sat of month, 10am @ studio diner in Kearney mesa
Break for summer, begin again Sept 20
Serves as liaison for library school students, looking to recruit new members
Social Responsibility – Cheryl Weeks Frey
Read by Barbara
Seeking new members and suggestions for library-related events
Congrats to Lisa & Rachel, lib school grad’s
Article of Year Award
Betsy Chessler – State of Comp Intell, SLA vol 16(1)
Jan Hedlun & Kitty Brlej for visit courthouse vol 16(5)
Service Recognition, certificates given to committee chairs:
Betsy – pr
Betsy & Carol – buddies
Jason – employment
Rachel – nominations
Michele – govt rel’s
Brent N. – grants
Cheryl – social responsibility
Service Recognition to:
Brent B. – 3 years of board membership 2011-2014
Leigh – historian 2009-2014
Anna – web master 2011-2014
MacLeod Award for outstanding service to Amy Moberly for 13 years as newsletter editor
Oath of office taken by new board members
Adjourned at 1:05pm