SANDALL Annual Business Meeting
Thomas Jefferson School of Law
Wednesday, June 19, 2013
12:00 – 1:30 P.M.
Brent Bernau, President
Barbara Glennan (alias Barbara Haslem), Vice-President/President Elect
Ruth Levor, Acting Secretary
Jane Larrington, Past-President
Shannon Malcolm, Incoming Vice-President
Robert Wickman, Incoming Treasurer
Call to Order called by Brent Bernau, President, at 12:30 P.M.
- Suzanne Smith and CEB were thanked for providing lunch.
- Leigh Inman, TJSL, was thanked for providing the beautiful meeting space.
- May Minutes – approved via e-mail
Welcome members who joined this year—Marie Templo-Capule and Connie Sterling of TJSL.
- Members who are going to the AALL Annual Meeting signed a sheet so that Betsy Chessler can distribute a list.
- The swag for the chapter table in the Exhibit Hall is a collapsible vase with the SANDALL logo. Attendees are urged to volunteer to staff the table.
- There may or may not be a SANDALL party at the Annual Meeting, but all are encouraged to attend the Pacific Chapters Reception on Saturday, July 23, from 7:00-8:30.p.m. at the Daily Grill (across the street from the Convention Center).
- SANDALL members Jane Larrington, Judith Lihosit and Anna Russell will be presenting an all-day workshop titled Classroom Makeover: Renovate Your Class with Technology That Promotes Hands-On Learning on Saturday, July 13.
- The Annual Meeting marks the beginning of SANDALL’s 15th year as an official AALL chapter.
Historian Leigh Inman presented a PowerPoint slide show of SANDALL activities during the past year. She asks members who are attending the Annual Meeting to take pictures of SANDALL activities and send them to her.
Results of Bylaws Vote
The proposed amendments to the bylaws passed. Of the 94 SANDALL members, we needed votes from at least 48 members with at least 2/3 of the 48 voting in favor. A total of 59 votes were cast with all in favor of the amendments.
Treasurer’s Report—Chris Pickford (appended at the end of the minutes)
Secretary’s Report—Brent Bernau: Anna Russell is still on maternity leave. She is now the proud mother of baby boy Flynn. Ruth Levor is taking minutes in her absence.
Vice-President’s Report—Barbara Glennan (Programs Committee report appended below.)
Past President’s Report—Jane Larrington: Jane worked on the bylaws and on editing and updating the policies and procedures. She also set up a wiki for committee chairs to preserve the chapter’s institutional memory.
President’s Report—Brent Bernau: Brent spearheaded the successful bylaws revision. He also acted upon the 2007 changes to the tax laws and determined that SANDALL is now required to file a return. He hired an accountant and saw to it that a return was filed this year.
Committee Reports—Committee Chairs
- Reports were given for Archives, Bylaws, Employment, Government Relations, Grants, Historian, Newsletter, Nominations, Public Relations/SANDALL Buddies and Social Responsibility. The Archives Committee will henceforth be merged with the Historian as co-chair. Isabel Eustaquio left the Employment Committee, and Connie Sterling is joining that committee, and Chris Pickford is joining Michele Jones as a Government Relations Committee Co-Chair. The full committee reports, as well as the Vice President’s and Treasurer’s reports, are appended below.
Awards & Certificates
- Congratulations were extended to new library school graduates Cassie DuBay and Hadas Livnat.
- The Article of the Year Award was given to Heather Phillips for her article “A Review of the Kindle Fire” and to Betsy Chessler for her article “The New Kid on the Block: Bloomberg Law.”
- Certificates of Appreciation were awarded to Leigh Inman, Arnold Josafat, Amy Moberly, Betsy Chesler, Michele Jones, Ruth Levor and Jane Larrington for their work on behalf of the chapter this year. Chris Pickford, H. Loren Stamper, Isabel Eustaquio and Brent Naritomi were unable to attend and will receive theirs later.
- Brent Bernau installed the new officers, Barbara Glennan, President, Shannon Malcolm, Vice President/President-Elect and Robert Wickman, Treasurer.
The meeting was adjourned at 1:20 P.M.
Ruth Levor, Acting Secretary
Annual Treasurer’s Report – June 19, 2013
[Removed for web publication]
TOTAL RENEWING MEMBERS: 86
TOTAL NEW MEMBERS: 8
GRAND TOTAL: 94 members